Career Focus: Communication / Public Relations / Management
A talented storyteller, writer, and communicator who can lead team members to outstanding results.
Over 12 years of communication experience that includes former Sports Director position. Background in developing communication and content for live broadcasts as well as company websites. Polished public speaker with excellent on-camera presence. Track record of success in contributing well-researched, appealing, and relevant content to award-winning organizations.
- Excel in meeting extremely strict timelines, including multiple deadlines in a day and several in an hour.
- Highly skilled in training, coaching, and leading team members to meet/exceed top-priority goals.
- Frequently serve as one of the primary faces and spokespersons of an organization to the general public.
- Proven success in optimizing use of analytics & social media: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Google+.
Affiliations & Activities:
Master of Ceremonies – Big Brothers Big Sisters Bowl for Kids Sake, American Red Cross Hometown Heroes, multiple other events • Major Sporting Event Coverage – Super Bowl XLIX, NCAA Tournament, College Bowl Games • Member, National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences • Founder/Blogger – SeattleBloggers.com (lifestyle blog)
Sports Anchor / Sports Reporter – KOMO-TV – Seattle, WA – 2012-2016
Managed all aspects of producing, writing, and anchoring live sportscasts. Wrote, edited, and published SEO-driven content for KOMONews.com. Worked under extremely high-pressure situations, reacting to breaking news at a moment’s notice and reaching multiple deadlines every night (including several deadlines in a single hour). Created engaging content for social media accounts, including Twitter and Facebook.
- Played key role in the station’s nightly Super Bowl XLIX coverage. Attended practices, interviewed players, and reported live from the field, including at University of Phoenix Stadium.
- Produced original content for KOMONews.com, managed @KOMO4Sports Twitter account, and arranged special features surrounding the Seahawks.
- Served as one of the primary faces of the station during the nightly newscasts and a member of the team recognized for outstanding Super Bowl XLIX coverage.
- Launched and managed the station’s @KOMO4Sports Twitter account, w/ ~5,500 followers; additionally, run personal Twitter account @LewisSports with more than 9,700 followers (first created with KREM).
- Developed process of posting high-quality video on Facebook and Twitter that was subsequently adopted by the primary KOMO social media accounts.
- Contributed unique content to the KOMO News Facebook page which has 391,000 likes at present.
- Provided written content and video input to the award-winning KOMONews.com site (2014 Edward R. Murrow Award for Best Website), the leading news website in Seattle with millions of views each month.
- Additionally, contributed to the KOMO station which won a 2013 Emmy for Station Excellence and a 2013 Edward R. Murrow Award for Overall Excellence.
- Built and maintained positive relationships with sports organizations and its players, including the Seattle Seahawks, Seattle Mariners, and the University of Washington Huskies.
Sports Director – KREM-TV – Spokane, WA – 2009-2012
Sports Anchor / Sports Reporter – KREM-TV – Spokane, WA – 2006-2008
As Sports Director, oversaw all aspects of the KREM 2 Sports department, including web producers, photographers, and reporters covering Spokane-area sports. Anchored multiple nightly weekday sportscasts. Built community contact and engagement through Facebook, Twitter, and other social media outlets. As Sports Anchor/Reporter, shot, wrote, edited, and presented stories for live daily newscasts. Produced and published original stories and videos for the station’s website. Filled in as a News Reporter as needed for breaking news.
- Contributed original written content and video to an award-winning KREM.com site (2009 & 2010 Edward R. Murrow Award for Best Website) and broadcasts (2009 & 2012 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards for Overall Excellence, 2009 & 2012 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards for Best Newscast).
- Created and managed the @KREM2Sports Twitter account, along with launching the @LewisSports Twitter account (currently at ~9,700 followers), Tim Lewis Facebook page (~3,500 likes), and the Tim Lewis Sports YouTube channel (~1,400 subscribers).
- Maintained active involvement in the community, including Master of Ceremonies for charity events such as Big Brothers Big Sisters Bowl for Kids’ Sake and American Red Cross Hometown Heroes.
- Built strong relationships with sports teams, universities, and sources, increasing ability to break sports news in the market (e.g. first to announce the hiring of Washington State Head Football Coach Paul Wulff).
- Assisted in organizing the annual team coverage of Hoopfest in Spokane, the largest 3-on-3 basketball tournament in the world. Additionally, led coverage of the following:
- Gonzaga University men’s basketball team in the NCAA Tournament
- Washington State men’s basketball team in the NCAA Tournament
- Eastern Washington University football team as they won the FCS National Championship in TX
- University of Idaho football team as they won the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise
Sports Anchor / Sports Reporter – KIMA-TV – Seattle, WA – 2004-2006
Performed multiple live reports for daily shows, covering breaking news as it occurred. Shot, wrote, edited, and presented stories for live daily newscasts. Maintained daily communications and relationships with sources, including school districts, universities, professional sports organizations, and viewers.
- Served as the weekend sportscaster and reporter for the top-rated newscast in the market. Reported on a number of breaking news stories throughout tenure.
- Functioned as a one-man-band reporter in covering the NFC Championship in Seattle. Covered press conferences, practices, and the game itself; assisted in coordinating coverage in Yakima.
News Reporter – KEPR-TV – Seattle, WA – 2003-2004
Served as a television news reporter while produced daily news for KEPRTV.com and KIMATV.com, frequently working as a one-man-band Reporter.
- Served as the Beat Reporter for the Hanford Nuclear Reservation and Umatilla Chemical Weapons Depot (both considered the most important beats in the area).
- Contributed to the growth of both KEPRTV.com and KIMATV.com by functioning as the morning web producer on top of daily news reporter duties.
BA in Communication – Edward R. Murrow College of Communication – Washington State University, 2003